So exactly what is a pencil skirt? It's a skirt that has a straight and narrow cut and falls at or just below the knee, some feature a little slit in the back. The beauty of the pencil skirt is that most women regardless of size can wear one. Follow these tips when purchasing one:
- Take your measurements. The skirt should fit smoothly over the hips and rear and the waistband should fall just below your natural one. Look for one that accents your shape and is not constricting.
- Check the length. For fuller legs a slightly longer skirt might be more flattering.
- The skirt should be free of pockets, pleating, trims or belt loops. The look should be sleek.
How to wear:
- Keep the look simple and clean. Pair the skirt with simple tops that flatter the lines of the skirt. Keep jewelry to a minimum.
- For fuller figures pair it with a jacket or shirt that is slightly longer than the widest part of your body.
- Pair your skirt with a short jacket or cropped cardigan think Coco Chanel.
- For a trendy look pair your pencil skirt with a mismatched jacket.
- For a slightly more relaxed look pair the skirt with a slightly oversized cardigan, add a belt and a pair of simple flats.
The pencil skirt works well with other trendy items for fall - animal prints, pearls, tweeds. See just a few smart choices this fall and you are going to look spectacular!